Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Fireplace Safety Tips for Windsor Tenants

Warm and Cozy Fireplace in the Center of a Modern Living RoomA fireplace can be a favorable highlight in any single-family rental home in Windsor. However, fireplaces also create a few unique risks to renters. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireplaces are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing nearly 500 deaths and over $1 billion in property damage every year. To relish your fireplace and stay safe as well, it is crucial to pursue some essential fireplace safety rules.

The most common reason a fireplace causes a house fire is due to creosote buildup or obstructions in the chimney. Sooner or later, wood-burning fires will cause a thick layer of soot and ash, called creosote, on the inside of the chimney walls. If not properly cleaned, this material can ignite, causing significant damage to the property and threatening the safety of everyone in the home. Other issues like dead leaves, bird nests, or falling bricks can block the airflow in the chimney and cause sparks to fly out into the room, possibly igniting rugs, nearby décor, or furniture. In the case of gas fireplaces, and obstructed chimney could cause dangerous fumes to vent into the home. Either circumstance is exceedingly hazardous for you and the home’s other residents if any.

To avoid these and other problems, there are several important steps that you must observe. First, use only the recommended types of fuel for your fireplace. For wood-burning fireplaces, use wood that is dried and well-seasoned and free of any chemicals or accelerants. For gas or electric fireplaces, never put anything in the flames. This can result in showers of sparks and hot ash capable of starting the house on fire. Chimney fires can become as hot as 2000°F, hot enough to break bricks, liquefy metal, and catch your attic, cladding, and ceiling on fire. Correct use of your fireplace is one of the best ways to avoid such dangers.

Then, make sure to supervise the use of your fireplace carefully. For both gas and wood fireplaces, never leave the fireplace lit unsupervised. It is essential to keep an updated fire extinguisher nearby and to make sure that you regularly change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If your fireplace has an operating manual, keep it in an accessible location for easy reference. Avoid approaching too near to the fireplace while ablaze and remember to observe any animals cautiously to avoid fire and misfortune.

Lastly, you must check with your property manager or landlord to observe if the fireplace is being regularly inspected and cleaned. An excellent property manager will have a fireplace checked constantly to make sure that it is in good working condition and ventilating correctly. To remain secure, it is critical to understand that pilot lights, valves, and sensors are working correctly and that you know how to maneuver your fireplace correctly. If your landlord gives you materials on fire safety, read through them carefully before attempting to use your fireplace. For tenants, observing the right fireplace safety is a fundamental piece of keeping you and your possessions out of devastation’s path.

Exhausted from performing it yourself? Why not give Real Property Management Hartford Metro/Greater London a call? It doesn’t matter if you possess one rental home or numerous homes, our goal is to protect and maximize your real estate investment. Supported by over 30 years of nationwide experience, our group of Windsor property managers is here to aid rental homeowners to maximize rental income while minimizing expenses and inefficiencies. Contact us online or give us a call at 860-436-9955 today.

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.